Help with Form I-90, Application to Renew or Replace Green Card

Form I-90 is the form used to renew or replace a permanent resident card, AKA green card. It’s the right form to use if:

  • Your green card will expire soon.
  • Your green card has been lost, stolen, damaged, or destroyed.
  • USCIS issued you a green card with incorrect information.
  • You’ve legally changed your name since getting your card.
  • Your previous card was issued to you, but you never received it.

One would think such a common situation would be simple to address. Instead, you get 7 pages of confusion and torment with a 13-page instruction sheet.

If you need help geting a replacement green card, contact Boston immigration attorney Giselle M. Rodriguez.  Giselle helps clients with the full range of immigration challenges, including Form I-90. She is bilingual (English & Spanish), and works with clients throughout Greater Boston and Massachusetts. Contact Giselle today to discuss your case, or read on to find out more.

What are common mistakes made on the I-90 form?

Here are some of the most common mistakes I see:

  • Online application mistakes, in part because the online form is confusing and poorly designed. For example, it doesn’t have certain countries listed in the dropdown menu, making it difficult for some foreign nationals to specify their country of birth.
  • Location-data problems. Part 3 asks for your location when you applied for an immigrant visa or adjustment of status, the location where your immigrant visa was issued or the USCIS office where you were granted adjustment of status, your destination in the United States at the time of admission, and the Port of Entry where you were admitted to the United States. If you have moved at all during this process, picking the correct locations can be a bit confusing.
  • Failing to use “None” or “N/A” where appropriate. Never leave any part of your immigration application blank, even if you do not know the answer to the question.
  • Failure to use Part 8. Part 8 is the “additional information” form on Form I-90. It allows you to provide additional information if you require additional space. The way that it is set up is a bit confusing; you have to name the page, part, and item number you’re providing additional information for, and then add that information into the appropriate section.

Need an immigration attorney to help on your I-90?

Though the I-90 form is one of the more routine immigration forms you will have to fill out, it’s still part of your immigration case. Your case is never really over unless you leave the United States or become a citizen.

Mistakes on this form could create administrative errors that delay your new green card.

They can also create costly red flags that cause you to lose your permanent residency or be deported. To avoid major issues, it is generally best to give your attorney the chance to look over these documents before sending them on. You can contact me, Boston immigration attorney Giselle M. Rodriguez, to discuss your case.